The 5 Best Electric Breast Pump Reviews
When you are choosing a breast pump, it can be overwhelming with all the different brands and types available on the market. By narrowing it down to an electric breast pump you have made the right decision. The electric breast pump is the best breast pump because of its practicability. In this post, we are going to discuss the 5 best electric breast pump reviews as well as why we like electric pumps.
Electric Breast Pump Comparison
|Power Source||Single or Double||BPA Free||Price|
|Medela Freestyle||AC Adapter or Battery Pack||Double||Yes||$$$|
|Medela In Style||AC Adapter or AA batteries||Double||Yes||$$$|
|Nibble Double Pump||AC Adapter||Double||Yes||$$|
|Phillips Avent Double Electric Comfort||AC Adaptor or AA Batteries||Double||Yes||$$$|
|Ameda Purely Yours Double||AC Adapter||Double||Yes||$$|
Why choose an electric breast pump?
- Easy to use – Electric pumps are easier to use because they don’t require any manual pumping everything is done automatically.
- Affordable – While electric breast pumps can be a little more expensive than manual breast pumps, they are generally not too much higher and worth it for the added benefits.
- Portable – Most electric breast pumps come with an option to be able to transport it. Usually, this comes in the form of battery packs or rechargeable internal batteries.
- Better Suction – Because electric breast pumps draw power directly from an outlet, they tend to be a lot more powerful creating a stronger suction, this creates more milk per session
Best Electric Best Pumps 2017
The Medela Freestyle Breast Pump is a great choice because it is extremely portable. Many people love this especially moms that are on the go. It is a dual breast pump, so you can pump both breasts at the same time, or just one if that is your preference. It has the option to be plugged into the wall or get power from a separate battery pack. The suction on the Medela Freestyle breast pump is good, although suction seems slightly less intense when running on batteries. This item is recommended to be used with a good nursing bra. This breast pump also features a backlit digital display, timer and memory button helps you personalize and control your pump sessions.
The Medela freestyle breast pump also comes with the Freestyle pump, a rechargeable battery, an AC adaptor/charger, breast shield bodies, membranes, back caps, as well as breast milk bottles and lids. This pump also includes a cooler bag with a cooling element. You can read the full Medela Freestyle breast pump review here.
The Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump made our list because of its superior quality. This pump uses 2-phase expression technology with a one-touch let-down button. The Medela In Style Advanced breast pump is great choice because it is a dual breast pump, this helps to make the most of the pumping process. This pump is also portable. In addition to being plugged up to a standard outlet, you can take this pump with you as it will also run on AA batteries. This pump has great value as it comes with 10 bottles. The In Style also comes with an AC adaptor, double breast pumps, a cooling bag with cooling element, and a stylish backpack style carrying case. You can read the full Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump review here.
The Nibble Double Electric breast pump is one of our favorite and one of the best electric breast pump models we had the pleasure of texting. It is easy to see how this model receives so many high ratings. This pump was built with quality in mind. One of the coolest and most innovative features of this breast pump is that its suction was created to mimic your babies sucking patterns. They can start with short, quick sucks to elicit the letdown response and then you can change the mode and move into a slower, deeper sucking pattern. This feature really helps to make pumping more comfortable, which should help you to produce more milk. Nibble Double Electric breast pump comes with an AC adapter, dual breast pump, cleaning supplies, bottles, and tops. This electric breast pump is one of the preferred models because of how well they are built.
The Philips AVENT double electric comfort breast pump is popular choice when it comes to electric pumps. Phillips is a trusted manufacturer and has a long track record for creating superior products. In our testing we found the Philips AVENT to be one of the most comfortable breast pumps on the market. It’s soft massaging cushion feels amazing while it gently stimulates breast milk flow. This pump has 3 expression settings(low, medium, and high) and can be set according to your comfort level. Because this breast pump is manufactured by a reputable company, it offers a 2-year warranty against defects, so you can feel comfortable when you purchase this pump. This pump comes with the Philips Avent Comfort Double Electric Breast Pump that includes one base unit and tubing, two 4 ounce bottles, two cushions, two extra soft newborn flow nipples, two sealing discs and a traveling bag.
The Ameda Purely Yours double electric breast pump is both lightweight and portable. It was assembled free from BPA. The Amedea purely your breast pump also features custom control technology allows independent adjustment of suction levels and cycle speed to accommodate a mother’s personal comfort. One of the things we liked about this model is the incorporated airlock technology. This makes this pump extremely hygienic because it protects your milk supply as well as your baby from exposure to milk and bacteria. The Ameda Purely Yours breast pump comes with a dual hygienic milk collection system, a microfiber carry all tote shoulder bag for easy and convenient transport, 4 milk collection bottles with lock-tight sealing lids and a Cool’N Carry milk storage tote to keep milk cool when on-the-go. For more info on this pump check out our Ameda Purely Yours double breast pump review.
Frequently Asked Questions about electric breast pumps
Are electric breast pumps safe?
Yes, electric breast pumps are 100% safe. As with any equipment make sure to read to manual that comes with your pump.
What’s the difference between single and double electric breast pumps?
Simply the amount of breast that you can pump at one time.
Single vs Double electric breast pumps, which is better?
This depends on your preference but as a general rule it is better to go with the double pump so you can make the most efficient use of your time.
Are breast pumps expensive?
No breast pumps are usually affordable, we have included links to where you can purchase them for a good price.
Are breast pumps portable?
It depends on the model. Some breast pumps can only be plugged into a wall, some have included battery packs, and others have rechargable batteries built in.
Do breast pumps hurt?
Usually no, if you experience discomfort try disconnecting and repositioning yourself. Sometimes you can expierence soreness of breast if you use them too much.
How often should you use an electric breast pump?
Everyday. You should start a routine, routines promote milk flow and help you produce more milk.
What are the pros of electric breast pumps?
- Require less effort to use than manual pumps
- Faster than other methods of expressing milk
- More comfortable for you because they offer multiple settings
- Offer you more choices, with models including hospital-grade pumps and double breast pumps
- Offer you flexibility, as hospital grade pumps can be hired
Four Reasons To Buy An Electric Breast Pump
- Ease of use – Breast pumps are great but nothing beats an electric pump. All you need to do is turn it on and let it work. Unlike manual pumps that require you to focus on pumping, electric pumps allow you to flick a switch then focus on pumping.
- Efficient – Electric breast pumps extract milk more efficiently than other pumps. Some of these pumps can even mimic the suction of your child to increase milk flow.
- Have a supply – Having a supply of breast milk is super helpful, this comes in handy if you want to take a break, go to work, or let your partner feed your baby in the middle of the night
- Portable – Most of these breast pumps can also generate power from batteries, this gives you the option of taking your pumping on the road. This is insanely useful for vacations with an infant.
Why Choose to Pump Breast Milk?
While everyone has a different situation, there are many different reasons why you may be thinking about breast pumping. Below are common reasons why mother’s choose to use breast pumps to extract milk.
- Going back to work: Going back to work? Unless you can take your baby with you to work you’re going to need milk supply to feed your baby while your away. Electric breast pumps can extract enough milk to allow you to get away for enough time to work. This is one of the most common reasons.
- Get a good night’s sleep: oWith a breast pump, you don’t have to worry about being the sole provider of nutrients for your baby. As long as you pump earlier in the day you and your partner can take turns feeding the baby every night. Being a mom is difficult and sometimes a full night sleep is necessary to be able to function properly.
- Premature baby: Pumping is a necessity if you have a premature baby so a breast pump is ideal.
- Ill health: Some babies have difficulty latching after birth due to birth defects or temporary health conditions so pumping will be the best way for these babies to eat.
- Increase milk production: Creating a routine and expressing your breast milk frequently makes you lactate more. This means that if you were having problems getting the milk out when you breastfeed then a pump will be useful for you.
- Flat or inverted nipples: Some women’s nipples are naturally inverted or flat making it impossible for babies to latch on. Because breast pumps use suction cups, it will be much easier to get milk out using an electric breast pump.
- Pain during breastfeeding: Sore nipples or pain while breastfeeding, sometimes this is from engorgement, and another common reason is as your child starts sprouting teeth, you will find they become quite the biters
Editors Pick for Best Electric Breast Pump is…
The Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump we like this pump because its a great deal for the money. It comes with everything you need and is manufactured by Medela. Medela is a pioneer in the breast pump business and they know what they are doing. This breast pump even comes with stylish backpack for the money, the In Style pump is a winner. For more information on other kinds of breast pumps you can check out the breast pump buyers guide here.