The 6 Best Breast Pumps For Twins
So you are expecting twins…Congratulations! This means double the fun, double the joy, and of course double the work. Chances are, you have thought about what its going to be like to breastfeed twins. While it can be a challenge, being prepared is always the best course of action. Having the best breast pump possible will be very helpful so that you can keep a backup supply of milk handy. In this review, we are going to talk about the 6 best breast pumps for twins as well as what you need to look for when making your decision. With the large variety of breast pumps available, we have tested many models and have narrowed it down to the 6 best pumps for mothers with twins.
Top Breast Pumps For Twins
The Spectra S2 Hospital Grade Breast Pump is a best-selling breast pump by Spectra. It is the upgraded version of the older Spectra S1 and is even better than before. When it comes to quality the results don’t lie, and it’s easy to see why this breast pump has such high reviews. The S2 boasts so many great features and is designed to truly meet the needs of moms with twins. This pump is an effective, powerful breast pump to support supply while also incorporating a plethora of features to make life a little easier.
Like all of Spectra’s breast pumps, the S2 is a closed system. This means there is a physical barrier between the milk and the pump ensures hygiene and motor performance. One of the best things about the Spectra S2 is it’s price point. It is very affordable for a hospital grade breast pump and is intended to rival ANY and ALL other hospital grade breast pumps.
The Medela Pump in Style is a good breast pump for twins because of how efficient it is. Medela is one of the most trusted brands in the breast pumping industry. Medela’s Pump In Style Advanced is a daily use breast pump designed specifically for moms who pump several times a day or have multiple children so it’s a perfect solution to breast pumping for twins. The in style offers portability and convenience for discreet pumping anywhere.
We like the Medela Pump in style because of its many high ratings from satisfied customers. This pump even comes with a cooler system to keep bottles at the right temperature when you are out and about. This is key when you have multiple mouths to feed and hunger can strike at any time. This is definitely a good pump for the money. For more info check out this Medela In Style pump review.
Like the Spectra S2, the Spectra S1 breast pump is a high-quality device that is still standing up to the test of time. While many people opt for the newer S2 model, the older version is still a major seller and is sometimes even preferred. To this day the Spectra S1 breast pump is the most advanced hospital grade breast pump with a rechargeable battery. This makes it a great choice for moms planning to breastfeed twins while traveling. Having a rechargeable battery is a huge bonus for a hospital grade pump as most of them require an insane amount of batteries or require a wall outlet to function.
One of the things that is the most impressive about the S1 is how quiet it is for a hospital grade breast pump. One of our testers actually fell asleep while pumping. Another thing that people usually say about the S1 is that it is very comfortable which is a super beneficial feature for a breast pump. This is a great quality breast pump.
The Medela Freestyle Breast Pump is another high-quality product from Medela. This is a great breast pump for moms with twins or multiples because of how light-weight this breast pump is. The Medela Freestyle Double Electric Breast Pump is a compact, lightweight breast pump that features a 3-hour rechargeable battery for mobile pumping anywhere. This is perfect for busy mothers. It has a lot of useful bells and whistles such as a digital backlit display makes it perfect for late-night pumping sessions, a pumping timer allows you to conveniently track your pumping sessions and memory button so you can easily return to your favorite pumping pattern.
This pump comes with a discreet breast pump bag and an ice pack that holds up to 4 bottles, this way you have 2 bottles for each of your twins. This is a great option for mothers that are breastfeeding twins.
The Hygeia Enjoy breast pump is one of the best on the market for moms that travel. It comes equipped with an internal heavy duty rechargeable battery. The battery is what made us fall in love with this pump. This hospital grade breast pump can give you up to 4 hours pumping time on a single charge. That’s impressive! The Enjoye breast pump features independent speed and suction controls allow you to mimic baby’s unique suckling pattern. This alone will be helpful with increasing milk expression and making the unit extremely efficient.
The Enjoye is a very good pump that will help you produce a lot of milk. If you are always on the move this pump is highly recommended.
The Philips AVENT Double Electric Comfort Breast Pump is hands down the most comfortable breast pump for feeding twins. This is because of the extra care taken on the padding to make sure that there is no soreness as you pump. The suction on this thing is great, and it is super efficient. This electric breast pump even has 3 expression settings so that you can set the suction to whatever level you feel most comfortable with. The Avent breast pump uses all BPA free parts and is a great option to breastfeed twins.
Tips for breastfeeding twins
- Get a breast pump bra – This allows you to multi-task which will be a necessity with twins. You can check out these breast pump bra reviews if you do not already own one.
- Start a routine – Start pumping every day around the same time and set a procedure to make sure it gets done. By doing this you are training your body to produce milk around the same time every day.
- Build up a supply – Don’t wait until you need it. Always build up enough milk for the reserves. You should start to replenish your supply when you get down to your last 4 bottles to make sure your twins always have their milk ready to go whenever it’s time to eat.
What to look for in a breast pump for twins
- Quality – Not all breast pumps are created equally. As with most things, you get what you pay for. You want to make sure that you pick a breast pump from a reputable brand that uses quality parts. You are going to be using your breast pump twice as much so you want to make sure to pick one from a brand that has a proven track record.
- Electric – You don’t want to fool around with a manual breast pump when you have twins. Opt for an electric model that can handle the suction part for you.
- Double – Double or dual breast pumps allow you to pump milk from both breasts at the same time. You need a pump that can express the most breast milk at one time to make the most of your time. Expressing milk from both breasts simultaneously will yield more of that precious liquid gold, than if you were to use a single pump on one breast at a time.
- Speed – You need to pick a breast pump that works fast. You don’t want to have to be pumping all day. A good pump can get your supply ready so you can get back to life.
- Effective – You need a pump that effectively helps you to produce milk. With twins, you do not have the luxury letting your milk supply get low. You should be looking at breast pumps with a cycle rate of at least 60 CPM(cycles per minute) Anything under 30 CPM is considered low efficiency and should be avoided for mothers with twins.
- Convenience – Is the breast pump travel-friendly. This, of course, depends on your lifestyle. Do you need to pump on the run? Or are you mainly at home most of the day? Most of the newer model breast pumps are portable but you will always get better suction when they are plugged into a regular outlet vs battery power.
Reasons to buy a breast pump for twins
- If you run out of milk with one baby you will have a backup supply.
- You can feed both babies at the same time.
- Easier to regulate feeding schedules.
- Partner can help you feed one or both babies
How to produce enough breast milk for twins
If you are pumping for two, frequent nursing will help you to keep your supply up. That’s why breast pumping for twins is ideal because feeding two babies on demand can be a challenge. The regular stimulation of a pump will help that. Most of the milk produced comes within the first five minutes, it is better for you to do a lot of short sessions during the day, rather than a long drawn out session. You will find electric breast pumps will be your friend with the main perk being that you can have your spouse feed your twins while you are sleep.
Our editors choice for breast pumping is the Spectra S2(click here to find it on Amazon). We like this pump because it is a great high-quality hospital grade pump, and it is very affordable. If you found our list of the 5 best breast pumps for twins useful, please click one of the share buttons below.